Format: NI Kontakt 5.6 (5.6.8 recommended) and above
8 Microphone Perspectives
Production Grand Features:
- 12 velocities pedal up samples
- 12 velocities pedal down samples
- 12 velocities release samples
- Authentic Pedalling: adds sympathetic resonance and realistic pedal control.
- Authentic hammer mechanism noises (labeled: Pre-Attack)
- User controllable recording noise for added studio realism
- Recorded with world-Class microphones: Coles, AKG, Classic U87s, B&K, Crown etc.
- Best possible A/D converters used: Burl Mothership
- Best possible microphone preamps used: API and Neve
1. Player’s Perspective: Player’s perspective that is near binaural. When you put on your headphones with this perspective, it will sound like you are there playing the piano! The player’s perspective was recorded with a Crown SASS-P MKII.
2. Hammer Microphones: I’m a big fan of hammer microphones. With the hammers recorded you will get plenty of attack and a more aggressive sound.
3. & 4. Inside Microphones: This is the sound most people associate with piano recordings. We decided on two sets of inside piano microphones: vintage Neumann U87s (they say West Germany on them!) and the modern Rode NT2As. This gives the player the ability to get that classic piano sound or the modern wider-range sound or both!
5. Outside Microphones: Just outside the piano we used really expensive Neumann M149 modern tube microphones. The engineer called these the “Golden Sound” microphones. This microphone pair has a classy sound and a more balanced tone than the inside and hammer microphones.
6. & 7. Room Microphones: In an attempt to give you modern and classic choices, we used Coles ribbon microphones and AKG C414s on the rooms. The ribbons sound like… ribbons… smooth and velvety! Ribbons take EQ well; another reason to include them. The AKGs sound true to the piano’s tone in the room.
8. Under Piano Microphone: Underneath the middle of the piano we used a PZM (pressure zone) microphone to give a clear centre image to the sound.
- Room Microphones: Coles Ribbon, AKG 414
- Hammer Mics: B&K
- Inside Mics: vintage NeumannU87, modern Rode NT2A
- Outside Piano: Neumann M149
- Piano Bottom: PZM
- Player’s Perspective: Crown SASS-P MKII for near binaural experience when played!
***Note: We used an elite studio, Phase One Studios, with very expensive equipment to get such an amazing sound! We didn’t hold back! ***
*430 GB represents the fully uncompressed library with three different bit/sample rate versions: 24 bit 96 kHz, 24 bit 44.1 kHz and 16 bit 44.1 kHz. Kontakt lossless compressed files compressed from 430 GB to 207 GB. The Kontakt compressed format performs well on modern systems (i5 and i7 Intel chips and greater). Specifications subject to change (with or without notice) as updates and improvements are made.
- Requires NI Kontakt 5.5 or greater (not included).
- A computer that meets the minimum Kontakt requirements.
- 8 GB RAM or more.
- 80 GB of free hard drive space for minimum installation.
- 210 GB of free hard drive space for full installation the Kontakt compressed files as delivered on hard drive.
Solid State Drive or Raid Drive recommended for more than 2 microphone perspectives at one time.
Note: Compatible with the full version of Kontakt only (not included). Not for use with Kontakt Player.
Note to International Customers: Production Grand 2 may be subject to duties and taxes determined upon package entry into your country. We have no control over how packages are held or charged. We claim the full purchase price value on all shipments.